Youngest Potter @ Claying Thoughts

Ever since I met this young girl of 3 years, I've been singing about her among my friends and wanted to share her talent with my blog readers as well. This young potter is a sheer talent. My first conversation with her was not a usual Hello Hi,....her first sentence was "I want to make a pot." and believe me she was very serious about it!!



She was little conversant with clay as she did some clay modelling at her school but she wanted to explore more. Initially, I was little reluctant to take individual classes for her as I thought she was too young to handle clay and do some meaningful pottery, but the one sentence from her mom encouraged me to meet her. It was "Every child is not same". And that was correct!! She is unique. At such young age, she has an art to weave the clay.

 In our first meeting, I gave her a lump of clay and asked her to make small balls. To my surprise she was brilliant...she was brilliant in rolling lumpy clay into a smooth ball unlike kids of her age who end up making it more lumpy. Then I taught her making a Rose...and she repeated the steps with very little help. That moment...without giving a second thought I enrolled her for the pottery class. (Later I got to know that after reaching home she made lots of roses with her polymer clay and gifted to everyone at home:)


Our first pottery class was another surprise for me. We decided to make an own. I asked the little girl to press the clay ball and make it like a chapati without using rolling pin. The way she used her palms to press the clay was impressive. We also attempted to make a coil pot. For same i gave her the task of rolling a ball of clay into long coils. After first demonstration, she did it with ease :)

Trust me she does all scoring and slipping herself. I just help her in placing the coil firmly. She loves removing the extra slip with her fingers. I only help her in sponging to give smooth surface to her pot as she always insists on "smooth karey" .....no doubt she loves neat pottery.



And last but not least, she ensures that her workstation and studio tools are clean before she leaves for home.

I'm blessed to have such a prodigy at my studio.... Here is a picture collage of the youngest potter at Claying Thoughts and her master pieces :)


Happy Claying!!






Comments

Popular Posts